My last day in Cairns was pretty mellow. In the morning I enjoyed an orange and almond muffin with freshly squeezed orange juice at a small cafe. I let my mind wonder while I listened to the soft music played over the cafe speakers and was amused watching people as they dodged rain drops in the square.
One of my friends on the dive trip had mentioned that there were bats around Cairns, but I hadn't noticed any until this day. I was walking down one of the back streets taking in the surroundings when I heard this awful screeching noise that kept getting louder and louder. I looked up to realize the tree branches right above my head were loaded with bats! It was a little creepy.
I believe you don't really know a city until you have shopped it. I spent a good part the day meandering around town near the water front popping in and out of gift shops; this is where I found Bobby. Bobby is a tiny wombat, not to be confused with a guinea pig. He will be traveling with me for the rest of the trip, so look for him in pictures.
Once the rain let up I made my way back to the square where there was a small folk band, husband and wife, playing music. I'm not sure how the older mountain man playing the tambourines fits in, but he added a lot to the music and was entertaining to watch. Bobby and I hung out and listened for a while before heading off to the airport for Sydney.




Bats? Crazy! Cool that you got some pictures. I love that you now have a travel companion and I'll be sure to keep my out for his future appearances in other photos :-)
ReplyDelete