Saturday, January 7, 2012

Welcome to Sydney!

It was a quick flight to Sydney where I was greeted by Barbara, my cousin's husband's aunt. Barbara and Peter welcomed me into their home without hesitation, and it wasn't long before I felt like apart of the family. Their new place is conveniently located just up the hill from Manly, a popular beach spot, with easy access to the wharf and other transportation.

My first day in Sydney started with breakfast on the sunny veranda and a panoramic view the hilly town below (stay tuned for a photo). Barbara had placed a variety of tasty jams on the table, and she got a good kick out of my "bitter face" when I discovered the marmalade was not so sweet. And thus my Sydney adventure began...

Barbara took me out to show me the sights and help me get my bearings. The tour started with a ferry ride across the harbour to Circular Quay in downtown Sydney. The ride provided scenic views of the small towns, beaches, and parks surrounding the harbour on all sides. I couldn't have asked for a better guide; Barbara offered a commentary complete with city history, family connections, and more.

Harbor View

Bobby and Sydney Harbor Bridge

Downtown Sydney

I got a little excited and left a piece of myself at the Opera House when I stubbed my toe on a step, ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment